10.4.12

a child is born

I'm sure most of you have the basic birth story but I always like reading other bloggers so I thought I'd share mine.

I showed up at 9:00 am to be induced.
Induction via cervical pill started around 11:00 am.
Epidural was administered around 5:00 pm and water manually broken right after.
Pitocin started around 9:00 pm.
Baby Beck was born at 11:47 pm.

Tada! That was it. Pretty uneventful. The most exciting parts were having contractions 1 minute apart and pushing the baby out in 7 minutes.

Also, I thought it was funny when the baby was basically sliding out on his own and the nurses told me that if I "held him" for 20 more minutes and he was born at/after 12:01 am I would get an extra night in the hospital. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I would have at least tried to hold him. My hospital stay this time around was truly fantastic. I was the ONLY patient on the L&D floor the entire 3 days I was there. Talk about spoiled. I even got a popsicle right before I started pushing!

Beck is doing really well. We've had a couple of rough nights but that is to be expected. I already miss what Michael refers to "the honey moon phase" were they sleep all day and all night. He is showing signs of a sensitive tummy and if he comes down with the same crazy awful colic that Violet did, I may die. Right now I'm just crossing my fingers and eliminating dairy and other pests.

I find myself wanting to spend all of my time with him. I want to cuddle him alone in my bedroom all day long. I still love my other kids but I find my heart focused on him alot lately. He is so sweet and I love how much he needs me. :)

Michael is a rock star. He has been staying up with Beck during the "witching hours" so that I can get some sleep. I've had 3 different nights where I got 5 hours of sleep straight!!! I feel like superwoman on those days. Michael has also been so good about taking care of the other two. He takes them to the beach almost every day he can and is always picking up where I left off. He's the perfect team mate in this situation. I know it's a hard adjustment for him but he's really handling it quite well.

I am doing really good considering the circumstances. I am going through the typical gambit of emotions and post baby symptoms. Things like: extreme irritability, extreme hunger, extreme fatigue, frustration with body, frustration with baby, frustration with husband, frustration with older children, frustration with frustration, happiness, love, depression, hopelessness, longing, regret, anticipation, anxiousness and everything else you can imagine. I've always really liked roller coasters but I feel like this one may kill me.

I'll post some pics of the baby asap. For now I have to go fetch the tiny muffin because he just woke up....right when I got the other two down for quiet time. Of course. Isn't that the way it always works?

I also want to post a quick shout out to the people on this island. I have been overwhelmed with love and kindness and generosity by the people in my ward and all of my friends. It is so humbling. I am normally not the kind of person to ask for or accept help but the people here don't give me a choice. :) They just serve and serve and serve and they are so sincere. It's like having a real family away from my family. I love them all so much. I will not forget their kindness.





5 comments:

Melissa S. said...

I'm so excited for you!!!! And like you, I like reading it on a blog better. Facebook doesn't do it justice......plus you can't print out your facebook. ;) Congrats Kat. Sounds like you have an amazing support group w/ your friends and Michael. Crossing fingers the baby doesn't get colic. UGH!!!!

Amy said...

So exciting for you, and I am surprised you are even blogging, i am quite certain by the time we decide to have the 3rd, that will be it for my blog. I can't imagine juggling 3 kids! I am sure you can manage!

hughesfamily said...

You are a superhero. Love your honesty! Hang in there,

kim huish said...

Congratulations! Glad the delivery was relatively smooth and uneventful (besides the fact that you pushed a human baby out of your vagina!) I'm really crossing my fingers for you on the colic- I can't even imagine what that would be like. Also, there is a chance that our boys could have very similar names!

Kory said...

Congratulations! That's really cool that your ward and neighbors take care of your family.