3.12.12

paleo business

I am so floored by my new diet that I am going to blog about it. At this point my blogging is so scarce and erratic that I probably have zero readers but I don't care. I really feel the need to just ramble about this for awhile. Actually I feel the need to shout from the roof tops but ya know.

I started exactly a week ago. I bought the book, The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf at a friend's suggestion and read it in a few days. I knew after reading all of the scientific arguments and having my scientific, doctor husband read them and verify their validity, that I was officially in a place where I couldn't NOT try the diet. What a poo sentence but whatever.

Basically, I was floored. I knew I needed to clean my diet to clean my body to clean my life. And that is exactly what is happening. I feel clean on the inside and not just because I am pooping more regularly than I ever have before. It's like my body is functioning almost completely properly. I have no bloat, no gas, no empty belly hunger where my stomach wants to eat itself. I have no mood swings because my blood sugar is super consistent. I seriously feel like I could take on the world.

If you aren't familiar with Paleo let me give you an amateur (me being the amateur) rundown. Basically you eat like a Hunter/Gatherer. You consume meats, produce-both fruit and veggies, and nuts. No grains, no dairy, no oats, no corn, no rice, no QUINOA, no beans. These foods are sources of inflammation in your body that can lead to all types of diseases and disorders. Before the agricultural revolution our HG ancestors were on average taller, lived longer, free of cavities, free of auto-immune diseases and were lean, muscular people. Once we started cultivating wild grains for food we lost height, length of life and took on a myriad of different health issues. This is anthropological science not bull. So, the idea is to eat like a HG and feel healthy again by returning our body to a clean, un-inflamed state. If you're curious, read the book. It's actually entertaining!

Some of the benefits of the diet are surprising. I am SUCH a nice mom when I'm not hungry! Surprise! I can't believe how big of a difference this diet has made on my patience levels and my mood stability. I am normally such a snap-to-anger type of person but this has become like a natural sedative. It's a MIRACLE! I've literally been jonesing for wine, weed or any other "bad" substance for months because I've been so uptight. It's seriously been plaguing me! I'm not being dramatic. We're talking, high school party, let's get wasted, slowly walk by the wine isle, day dream of a cold margarita poolside seriousness. Somehow, this diet has allowed me to look at my kids with only love in my heart and mind. Okay, not only, more like 95% but we were at about like 40% so that's a pretty freaking big deal. I mean, come on, if changing my diet can curb my party-hardy cravings and make me a better mother than shiz, I'm never going back!

I, with out trying, have lost more weight. In the last day, I've lost 1 1/2 pounds. Solid. Cool. I also notice a difference in my abs. Have you ever heard of the abs diet? I'm beginning to be one of those "carbs are the devil" people. It's scary. But it's also scary to look and feel THIS MUCH BETTER in only a week! I need to take pictures. I can already tell there will be some serious physical changes.

I wake up with energy. I don't spring out of bed but I don't have to use the heart charger paddles to shock myself out of bed either. I just get up and go. I also don't have puffy under eye bags or trouble taking off my wedding ring which means less water retention.

There are so many tiny things that are good. So many benefits that I can already feel. It's really incredible that food can be this powerful. We don't treat it like the medicine it actually is. I've posted it before long ago on instagram and pinterest but I'll post it again. "The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison," Dr. Ann Wigmore.

Before I close I will be honest and share that there have been a few hang ups. I cook alot. Not really that much more than I used to but there aren't as many quick fixes. I also can't really eat out anywhere that easily. So accessibility and dishes are a pain but whatever. If you felt this good, you'd do more dishes and skip the fast food drive-through too.

Another bummer was the caffeine withdrawals. Apparently caffeine can produce cortisol in your body which is a bad stress hormone so it's recommended to avoid it. This was bad news considering my daily habit of 1 Rockstar and 2-3 cans of Diet Coke. DAILY. Blurgh. The headache I experienced on Wednesday was up there in the top ranking SOB headaches of my life.

Next downer is the constant feeling I get when I feed my children that I'm poisoning them. Seriously, it sounds insane but after you read the science and learn about the negative effects caused by inflammation from eating grains, you would totally or at least partially see my point. Another poo sentence. Apparently I'm full of shit today. :)

The last negative is the social aspect. I have a holiday cookie exchange coming up and Christmas advent activities planned with my kids and several other things that won't be "traditional" for me because of my "crazy" diet. Luckily I'm still hyped up enough that I feel confident I will finish this 30 days without any "cheats". That was alot of "".

What happens after 30 days? Right now, I honestly feel like I just turned a life altering corner and can never go back but I often eat the words I say, no pun intended. Who knows, maybe I'll end up opening a traditional bakery (something I have literally dreamed about for years) in the next couple of years. I'm bananas. The point is, right now I'm bananas for this diet. I cannot stress enough how amazing I feel and how in control I feel.

It's liberating to take charge of my body and my health and not get "poisoned" by convenience. I wish that anyone, everyone, just someone would try it with me. What's 30 days right? Everyone I've even slightly, smidgeshly convinced says the same thing, "maybe after the holidays." Ya. Maybe. Or maybe never. It's okay. I have a supportive friend and a supportive brother. That's enough for now.

Not to call out my husband or anything but I know that he needs to do this diet too. He is complaining EVERY night about tummy upset and gas and saying, "ugh. I don't feel so good, Booty." I feel bad for him but it's also hard to keep feeling sorry for someone who keeps slamming their hand in the door and crying over it like it was a surprise, ya know? I'm mean. I'll keep cooking him and my kids rice, pasta and traditional baked goods to make up for it.

I'll let you know how the next 3 weeks go because I know you're all dying to continue hearing about paleo. If you have any questions or want recipes or want a supporter in your own paleo adventure just holler.

7 comments:

Mel said...

"After the Holidays" we are doing a weight loss challenge with Todd's family. Maybe I'll get a jump start and check this book out from the library before we begin!!! Thanks.

Eevi said...

So I am interested in this; however, I am not sure how that would work for someone like me when I am running a ton and need carbs as a fuel. Do they address that at all in the book? Thanks for sharing this. I can totally feel for the carbs go to my gut right away--and why is it that it is SO easy to consume so many carbs!!! Way to go girl! Even if you dont stick w this, I think it is awesome to try something new:)

Margaret Vance said...

So after your wheat-free post and how it helped with your eczema, i decided to try it out since Nia has psoriasis. And in two weeks, the worst part of her psoriasis cleared right up! So ever since, we've tried to be as gluten-free as possible. and even going gluten free is A LOT of cooking. My SIL told us about this paleo diet. We'll have to try this. The only thing that I think I'll have a hard time getting rid of are the grains... but hey, it most certainly cannot hurt to try. Thanks for the run-down :).

Heather B said...

I think this is a sensational way to get eating healthier, and I love that you are feeling so good. I think we should all use food, like you said, as the medicine it was meant to be, and stop trying to medicate our way out of our food slump issues. Of course I am all talk and no action right now, but I am definitely going to read this book. That's amazing that you can get enough fiber to be regular with just fruits and veggies (and no beans! so wild!) Anyway, thanks for sharing the info. I remember in Hawaii when you were telling me all about your Dr Oz book and how to be healthier.

jj said...

It was funny coming across this post this morning. I too just started reblogging recently and feel the say way, "No one probably reads what I posted, but anyway." I also am on the Paleo Diet and boy has it changed my life...and my husbands. Together we have lost 60 pounds and we feel the best we have ever felt. I started the lifestyle in October and he did not get on board until he felt absolutely horrible. Then the magic happened for him. Hopefully your husband will join you soon! Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Good post!






bubblegum casting

bubblegum casting

Joshua said...

The diet couldn't have been that great. You didn't follow up with any more posts. Maybe you dieted yourself out of existence?